Out of the Depths: Bible Studies on Depression and Hope
This book is designed for use by those experiencing mental and emotional illness, as well as those who would like to improve their skills in caring for people in this situation.
It is designed primarily for use by groups, but is also of benefit to individuals wanting to learn more about anxiety and depression.
In the group setting, this series of ten studies may be used as a tool for Christian churches or fellowship to help support and encourage those in their group who are struggling with depression or anxiety. This book can also provide a format for a ‘depression group’ to follow as they help each other to cope with their illness. This is particularly important, as group interaction is an important aid in the recovery process.
These studies also provide some biblical teaching on the special spiritual problems that arise for those who are struggling with mental and emotional illness, as well as some basic medical knowledge to help those who suffer understand more about their problems and what can be done to help.
If you are struggling in the above areas, this book will help you to learn
– about depression and anxiety and a little about the underlying chemical problems
– how stress causes and worsens these conditions
– to recognise stress overload and begin working out how to reduce it
– that it is not your fault but it is your problem to deal with
– that you are still ‘victorious’ and able to serve God even when depressed
– that God allows suffering to help you grow in maturity in your relationship with him
– that you are not worthless or a failure
– that you will recover and be able to help others in similar situations.
Dr Helen Rienits, MBBS, DRANZCOG is a doctor who works in general practice on the south coast of NSW. After graduating, Helen undertook some theological studies before working for nine years with the Leprosy Mission in the Himalayan Kingdom of Bhuta